The most important role of a union is to safeguard the job and rights of every member. PPOA takes this role extremely seriously — that’s why experienced labor representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for our members. PPOA’s team of seasoned professionals assists members on a daily basis with grievances, IAB interviews, administrative appeals hearings (including Skelly) and more.
PPOA members benefit from the expertise of attorneys specializing in everything from workers’ compensation to the Peace Officers’ Bill of Rights. Every active PPOA member is afforded representation from an attorney for ERCOM/civil service, use of force and shootings. Our legal experts hail from distinguished law firms throughout Southern California.
Legal firms affiliated with PPOA:
- Lewis, Marenstein, Wicke, Sherwin & Lee (workers’ compensation)
- Straussner-Sherman-Lonne-Treger-Helquist (workers’ compensation)
- Reich, Adell & Cvitan (political and labor issues)
- Silver, Hadden, Silver & Levine (retirement and benefits)
- Stone Busailah, LLP (police law and litigation)
- Green & Shinee Inc. (shooting and use of force coverage)
- Law Offices of James J. Cunningham (labor issues)
- Hayes, Ortega & Sanchez, LLP (labor issues)
- Law Offices of Goldberg & Gage (civil litigation)
- Law Offices of Gregory W. Smith (civil litigation)
Free Non-Job-Related Legal Advice
Protecting your interests at home is important, too. That’s why every full-dues paying PPOA member is entitled to a free one-hour consultation each year with an attorney to discuss matters not related to work.
Legal Defense Plan
All active PPOA members are enrolled in the Fraternal Order of Police Legal Defense Plan. This plan provides defense coverage for civil and criminal actions arising in the scope of law enforcement duties. The coverage has no limits on defense costs when using a plan attorney, although members do have the right to choose their own attorney (subject to deductible and cost limit).